Originally published Nov. 25, 2019, updated Jan. 30, 2022

Discovering mold growth in your Crystal River, Florida, home can be a daunting experience that can tempt you to take matters into your own hands. Although some DIY tasks can be fun and fulfilling, some home improvement projects specifically mold removal should be left to the professionals. Mold not only damages the surfaces it grows on but it is also dangerous to your health. Below are four common dangers of DIY mold removal.

DIY Mold Removal Is Dangerous

Mold is a dangerous biological growth to anyone who encounters it without proper precaution. Cleaning it requires specialized equipment and professional expertise. Mold spores, which cause irritation to the respiratory system, can easily become airborne when you don’t use the proper cleaning supplies and techniques.

There Are Different Types of Mold

Mold features differently in terms of danger and difficulty to clean. While you may be able to detect mold, only a professional can know the right way to eradicate it. It is important to first confirm the type of mold you are dealing with by sending mold samples to the lab with the help of a professional. Additionally, not all types of mold respond to the same cleaning products.

Mold Can Spread

While mold is common in your bathroom, kitchen, and other wet surfaces, you should not try to remove it yourself. Tampering with mold can make it airborne thus spreading throughout your home, especially through the main air ducts. To avoid the danger of spreading, you should seek professional cleaning help.

Mold Removal Carries Health Risks

Mold spores are strong allergens that can potentially make an individual ill. If you try a DIY mold removal, you risk disturbing the mold spores and making them airborne. If you don’t have the proper equipment to keep the spores contained, you risk suffering from allergic reactions like coughing, sneezing, and itchy throat. Some molds are so toxic, that you can become very ill if you try to remove it yoursels.

If you discover mold in your home, it is best to seek help from our remediation experts. Reach out to ServiceMaster Professional Services for safe and effective removal of mold.

Pin It on Pinterest