Homeowners in a humid climate like Beverly Hills, Fl, are definitely familiar with mold. Mold spores grow well on all kinds of surfaces, both indoors and outdoors, making it a common sight in damp areas. It’s fairly well-known that some types can be toxic, but not everyone realizes that even common shower molds can cause physical reactions. It’s smart to tackle the cleanup of even minor occurrences before it becomes a hazard to your health.

Health Problems

Many people are sensitive to molds in their homes as well as outdoors. Common symptoms after exposure include skin irritation, coughing, watery eyes, wheezing, stuffiness and sore throat. For people with compromised immune systems or asthma, the effects can be serious.

Mold Prevention

Molds thrive in damp areas, so ventilation is key to preventing growth. Use good quality exhaust fans in the bathrooms and other humid areas. Add a dehumidifier in any areas that need it. If you have trouble with leaky pipes or flooding, allow the area to dry completely before finishing any repairs.

Mold Removal

It’s best to remove allergen growth as soon as possible. For small spots, use bleach to clean the affected areas, being sure to follow safety precautions such as wearing gloves, using eye protection and ensuring adequate ventilation. If the mold is larger than 10 square feet, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends taking extra care to follow proper cleanup procedures or contracting with a qualified professional. If you can smell the mold but can’t see it, consider hiring a professional to find and remove it so that you don’t inadvertently release spores into the air.

Find out more about preventing mold growth or removing it safely and effectively at the ServiceMaster Professional Services website.

Pin It on Pinterest